Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Alchemist; an Illustration


The Alchemist by ~SyntheticPlatypus on deviantART

Next in my grab bag series. This was "Create an Illustration" which led me to discover the difference between illustrations and regular old drawings. Yes, I never knew this even with going to art college. It was never a vocab term!

Illustrations tell a story for those of you who don't know.

So, I just read The Alchemist last month and was very inspired by the story. So I was thinking of how I could illustrate it to show different bits of the story line ad kept thinking how epic it got near the end and decided it felt like Indiana Jones.

So basically I took the poster from "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and tweaked it to fit my illustration.

Now my usual kinds of drawing (before synthetic platypus) was to draw one person (usually a girl) and that was it. Drawing an almost movie poster with multiple people, animals and a background? Nearly impossible. It took just about the whole month this time working on it.

You might say though, wait this is not taking you out of your comfort zone at all except for layout. t is actually. I tweaked with my brush settings a bunch and I inked it differently. The next time I work on something on the computer I am going to be doing a different kind of shading. It's a one step at time kind of thing.

I am very pleased with how this turned out on the whole and am glad I got it done within the month. On to the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment